[rescue] rescue Digest, Vol 134, Issue 13

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Wed Jan 15 14:40:12 CST 2014

>> I always wondered why more people don't turn their displays
>> sideways...
> At work I have two 24" LCDs with 1920x1200 pixels.  [...]

I tried running 1080x1920 instead of 1920x1080, but it meant I had to
put the display on a peecee.  This was a problem because I am rather
particular about keyboards; I really like Sun type 3.  So my main
desktop machine is a SPARCstation 20, on which the X server does not
know how to rotate the display.  I tried using a peecee instead, but,
while it's fairly easy to put a Sun keyboard on a serial port (one of
the things I like about them is they don't do that bizarre
one-wire-both-ways thing peecee keybards do), the peecee X server I had
at ready hand doesn't know how to do anything useful with Sun keyboards
on serial ports.  I tried to hack support in, and got it sort-of
working, but autorepeat didn't work, and I didn't find 1080x1920 enough
nicer than 1920x1080 to be worth tolerating that.

Perhaps someday I'll look for a screen that can present itself to the
host as a portrait-mode display, rather than requiring the host to do
the rotation.  I don't really expect to find one, though.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org