[rescue] Bad cheap electrolytics, easily rescued LCD monitors - was Re: Trying to rescue a Sun Ultra 45

Mark Brown sunrescue1 at marknmel.com
Wed Jan 15 09:11:04 CST 2014

On 1/15/2014 9:39 AM, Toby Thain wrote:
>> You're lucky they didn't.  I have fixed three (out of three) dead
>> flat-screen displays by opening them up, noting that caps in the power
>> supply portion of the circuit have bulging tops, and replacing them.  I
>
> I fixed about 10 out of 11 in the same way last year, enough to give
> away a few to neighbours and relatives.
>
> One 24" needed just an 18c resistor.

I gotta say - I've probably fixed just as many.   At $WORK we have a
"electronics recycle bin".  This bin has been my sole source of LCD
panels.  I've never needed to buy panels, nor has my "inlaws".

Benq, Sceptre and Viewsonic (surprisingly) are the worst offenders!

It's not all that difficult. I'm just a hack around electronics...

And you are right - most times low voltage side - but the Benq are
somewhat infamous for blowing our the high voltage inverter side.

For a buck or two, it's totally worth bringing these back to life!

/M