[rescue] Wisdom of the Collective: QFE

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Mon Feb 10 11:21:00 CST 2014

They're all gone now... you can find some OCe10102 cards for just under
$300 now. But I did write about some of my hints for finding cheap network
gear on a blog post last week:

http://rsts11.wordpress.com/2014/02/05/enterprise-class-networking-on-the-cheap-for-your-homelab-rsts11-bacon_is_king-brcdmidatlantic/

The highlights for the tl;dr crowd:

1. Uplink ports are usually just ports.
2. Look for rebranded or debranded gear.
3. Ask around about new and refurb gear that fits your needs
4. Watch out for port and feature licensing
5. Maybe port-channel/LACP is good enough for your budget.

I write a fair bit about POHO (Psycho Overkill Home Office)/home lab topics
on the blog, look at "POHO and the Home Lab" in the black ribbon on the
site for more. Feel free to take a poke around if you're so inclined.

Robert