[rescue] PA-RISC/Itanium system?

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 01:31:36 CDT 2013

On 18 Sep 2013, at 05:56, Andrew Weiss <rumbeard at mac.com> wrote:

> On 18/09/2013, at 2:46 AM, Mark Benson <md.benson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Yes. IIRC only 2 media kits of 11i v2 had the drivers. Bit of a pain.
>
> What's the graphics situation with that workstation on OpenVMS?

You need OpenVMS compatible graphics card (in my case a Radeon 700 PCI) and
even if you have one it doesn't work until you are booted to the X desktop on
a zx6000, so you still have to fly the OPCOM terminal via serial. Weirdly, the
EFI firmware on the machine works just dandy with the card but the OPCOM
terminal refuses to use it, it'll only use it as an X frame buffer. I managed
to grab a generic PC Radeon 7000 PCI card that worked just fine and dandy, so
no need to sell your soul to a HP vendor to get one. You do have to find the
RIGHT one though.

In spite of all my mumbling, I do like the zx6000, it's a fine machine and if
you can get one with skins on it's not a bad looker either (mines and ugly,
skinless black lump on a metal stand), just caveat emptor when it comes to
graphics support.

--

Mark Benson

http://DECtec.info