[rescue] PA-RISC/Itanium system?

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 09:58:22 CDT 2013

The zx6000 is a classic example of exactly what I mean. While they'll work okay as a server with modern vetsions of HP-UX, there is only 1 or 2 specific distributions of HP-UX that support the graphics hardware (in my case a ATi FireGL card). If you don't get the actual zx6000 HP-UX distribution you have little chance of getting can X desktop unless you seap the graphics card for a better supported one. I adnit I haven't tried it on my zx6000 since I put the Radeon 7000 PCI card in it.

Long and short is if you buy a zx6000 HP-UX workstation it either needs to be running HP-UX from it's original install already, or it needs the original install media with it if you want the graphics to work. If you aren't bothered about graphics then it's not so bad, you just need a serial terminal to hand. It seems at odds on such a powerful machine though.

The zx2000/zx6000 series is a weird beast that HP only sold briefly due to poor sales. It was also only supporyed briefly too before it was dropped. They come up cheap for a reason.

There's nothing wrong with the hardware mind you. Excellent machine but like anf Itanium it eats Watts for breakfast and hammers out hot air.