[rescue] Sun 4/40 External HDD SCSI timeout

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Tue Sep 3 06:47:27 CDT 2013

" From: Giuseppe Francesco INDELLI <indelli at unict.it>
"
" Hi All,
"
" I have a Sun 4/40, SPARCstation IPC, equipped with two 207MB HDD SCSI
" configured as follows:
"
" Target  0 (internal disk)
" Unit 0        Disk        QUANTUM PD210S        SUN0207492W0492W2SS
"
" Target  3 (external disk)
" Unit 0        Disk        CONNER CP30200        SUN020742349229P9BRV
"
" At SPARCstation power on, the system hangs during booting just after the
" following line:
"
" esp0:    Target 0 now Synchronous at 3.572 mb/s max transmit rate
"
" The system hangs in the line above for about one minute, then the
" following line message appears:
"
" esp0:    polled command timeout
"
" Then the system rebooting automatically.
"
" Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.

my first suspicion - the internal drive has failed / is failing.  also
possible: the polled cmd timeout could be for target 3.

what happens if you try booting with the external drive disconnected?