[rescue] Sun E450 - 'CPU Fan 2 Failure' but not failed

Greg Jurman jurman.greg at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 21:49:12 CST 2013

So, a successful update.

I disconnected and removed the main-board from the chassis and send a
1V at 1Khz square-wave through the rotor locked/alarm lines one at a
time. This allowed me to trace where the signal is going. They land at
a 74ACT04 Hex Inverter (its U4401 or U4601, I cant read the second
digit, silk-screen is too blurry) just below the DC-DC converters
(DC-B2 to be exact). One of the paths is a dead-open, and that is the
signal path for Fan 2.

I soldered a small bodge-wire between one of the working outputs and
the dead output temporarily to confirm that this is in-fact the
problem. I no longer have the Fan 2 failure.

Going to try Solaris again and give it a burn-in to make sure nothing
else is wrong with it.

So it was a board problem, at least it not with one of the actual ASICs!

Greg