[rescue] Some thoughts on our hobby..

Mike Loewen mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us
Fri Nov 8 13:10:58 CST 2013

On Fri, 8 Nov 2013, Christopher Purdy wrote:

> Have you folks been watching over the last year or two in regards to prices
> on the major sites for retro gear?  I'm absoultely shocked!  Things that
> sold for pennies on the dollar a few years ago are multiple hundreds of
> dollars now.
>
> As most of you know I've been looking off and on for a PET for years, and I
> think I have officially given up the search... even the most pitiful
> specimens are going for 2, 3, even $400!!
>
> I just was browsing today considering a TRS80 model4, and was again shocked
> to see prices in the $250 to $300 range.
>
> I fear we are nearing the end of an era when affordable retro / rescue
> computing is coming to a close.. the ebay crowd has descended and snapped
> up many of the remaining stockpiles only to resell them - pushing the
> prices way up.

    It is distressing to see some of the prices on Ebay, and it is getting
harder to find equipment that fits within a hobbyist's budget.  However,
there are still caches of equipment coming out of garages, basements and
attics for which the owner would just like to find a good home.  It helps
to get your name out there as someone interested and willing to rescue old
machines, either to provide a good home or see that they go to someone
else who will do that.

    Just this summer, I was contacted by someone with a load of TRS-80
gear: 5 hard drives, data terminal, 6000HD, 16B and a Soroc terminal.  He
wanted $600 for the lot, which I thought was reasonable, but I didn't need
it for my collection.  Within the last year, I've turned down a batch of
Osbornes, but acquired a Northstar Advantage and a Kaypro 1.  Most of
those contacts have come from people viewing my collection site, or
referrals from other vintage collectors.

Mike Loewen				mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us
Old Technology	      http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/