[rescue] Some thoughts on our hobby..

Christopher Purdy escher.beretta.2112 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 12:42:12 CST 2013

Have you folks been watching over the last year or two in regards to prices
on the major sites for retro gear?  I'm absoultely shocked!  Things that
sold for pennies on the dollar a few years ago are multiple hundreds of
dollars now.

As most of you know I've been looking off and on for a PET for years, and I
think I have officially given up the search... even the most pitiful
specimens are going for 2, 3, even $400!!

I just was browsing today considering a TRS80 model4, and was again shocked
to see prices in the $250 to $300 range.

I fear we are nearing the end of an era when affordable retro / rescue
computing is coming to a close.. the ebay crowd has descended and snapped
up many of the remaining stockpiles only to resell them - pushing the
prices way up.

I'm sure there are still deals to be had, but its just paitiful to see.
 Machines I told myself - "ohh I'll pick one up eventually, they are only
$50-$100", are now north of $200 or $300...  well out of my hobby-ist
budget.

anyways - sorry if this is too far OT for the list, but I had to get it off
my chest and thought you folks would appreciate where I'm coming from.

Regards,

Chris

--
Christopher Purdy