[rescue] Fast Ethernet with a Sparc Classic

Mark Brown sunrescue1 at marknmel.com
Fri May 31 21:25:03 CDT 2013

On 5/31/2013 10:01 PM, Jonathan Katz wrote:
> AHH! Just checked wikipedia. U1E != U1. The U1 had 3 sbus slots and
> le0. The U1E introduced hme0 and the UPA slot.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_1

Right you are - and you beat me to the response.

All the IPX (sun4c), SS5,10,20, LX, and Classics (sun4m), SS1000e
(sun4d), the U1 (non-E) that I ever saw had a single onboard lance
ethernet (le) interface. I believe that I used hme's in the Classic and
the IPX - seemed to work fine.

I forget if the U2 (non-E) had a lance card too?! (Brain fog)

I did administer a SS1000e that used a SBUS bigmac (be) interface, which
could only grok Solaris 2.6 (as I found out with the interface had no
driver in Solaris 7 - good times!)

And of course - the HME card was the "happy meal ethernet"

Too bad Solaris 11 has removed the card names - they just go by ETHx.
How Linux is that?

/M