[rescue] Fast Ethernet with a Sparc Classic

Kurt Nowak knowak at alumni.calpoly.edu
Fri May 31 15:40:09 CDT 2013

Sadly, after many years I have to retire my SS2 for my personal home
firewall and ipsec gateway, since my cable provider is pumping out 20+ Mb/s
and and the Sun4c just cant handle that kind of bandwidth. I am
contemplating putting a quad fast ethernet card in my Sparc Classic since
its a Sun4M and quiet and compact enough - not as much of a power hog as an
SS5/SS10/SS20 too. My questions are, 1) can an SS Classic even take a quad
fast ethernet sbus card? 2) If so, would anyone be able to predict what
kind of performance I could get with this if its even possible? I'll be
running OpenBSD as I have happily been doing for years with my old Sparcs.
My other option is to do overkill and use a Sunfire V100 that's just
sitting around doing nothing... Its too noisy though for running 24/7, so I
want to avoid that....Looking forward to the bandwidth though!