[rescue] Motherboard cleaning..

Christopher Purdy escher.beretta.2112 at gmail.com
Wed May 22 08:34:28 CDT 2013

Just an update - I pulled the board and video card last night and did the
wash... much better, but still some traces...

I shook both out until no more water was coming from the ports and then
went nuts with the alcohol... then shook most of that out..

Both boards are drying since last night... I'll likley bake them at around
125 tonight for a while to ensure the drying and give it another day or
so...

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 2:30 PM, Mark Brown <sunrescue1 at marknmel.com> wrote:

> On 5/16/2013 12:36 PM, Barry Callahan wrote:
>
>> We actually have a dishwasher in our shop for the express purpose of
>> washing PCBs, post assembly. In our case, they're cleaning excess flux and
>> removing soldermask paste. (for preventing vias from being soldered when
>> using a wave-solderer) They use rubber bands to hold the boards in place so
>> they don't get jostled around.
>>
>> If the board is really bad, you might put it in for a full wash + rinse
>> cycle ** DO NOT USE DETERGENT ** and use the high-temp wash & rinse
>> settings if your dishwasher is so equipped.
>>
>> The alcohol bath may not be a bad idea, but it's not something we do
>> here. To dry out the boards, we actually stick 'em in an environmental
>> chamber and bake 'em at ~60 celsius (140 F) for a couple hours. Your oven's
>> "warm" setting would probably work just fine.
>>

>>  I used to work with a fella that worked at Honeywell (Keyboards).  I
> think he was a line manager for the electronics side of the keyboard.
>  There was a quality issue with the boards coming from that plant and I
> seem to recall the discussion was around cleanliness. (our conversation
> about this was over twenty years ago...).   The remediation was to install
> a dishwasher on the line - and that was the solution to the problem.  I
> figured it was for the reasons listed above by Barry.
>
> And to the OP (Christopher - I think....) , don't be in a hurry to fire
> the system back up after the wash cycle.  Put it on the shelf for a month
> and forget about it for a while until is is most certainly dry.
>
> Good luck!  Let us know the results....
>
> /M

Christopher Purdy
www.promethean-visions.com