[rescue] OS for ZFS?

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Mon Mar 25 11:53:55 CDT 2013

On 25 Mar 2013, at 12:50, "Scott Newell" <newell+rescue at n5tnl.com> wrote:

> I'm wanting to build a (headless) machine to play with ZFS.  It won't be
doing much--light duty file server, some monitoring scripts, rsync backups of
our VPS, etc.  Looking through the junk pile here at work, I see an Ultra 60
(2 CPU, 1 or 2 GB ram, couple of drives) or an old Dell Precision workstation
(2.8GHz P4, 512 MB, couple of old SATA drives).  Does either feel like a
viable candidate?

> Any recommendations on an OS?  I've run OpenBSD and debian on them before,
so I don't anticipate driver problems.

RAM will be an issue if you want to do say, deduplicationbut otherwise you
should be fine with the Ultra 60 for basic ZFS stuff I believe.  ZFS won't
even let you enable it on 512M RAM in BSDs if I recall correctly.