[rescue] VMS for VAXstation

Scott Quinn saquinn624 at aol.com
Wed Jul 31 21:15:11 CDT 2013

    On Mon, 29 Jul 2013, Steve Sandau wrote:

>    If memory serves, and it may not (as I'm now of a "certain age"),
>the limitation was one where if a core-dump was required it could
>overwrite filesystem parts that would otherwise operate normally.

The issue is that the firmware will loop around to zero after it reaches the
maximum size addressable by the
6-byte commands. Anything needed for booting needs to be under the limit or
VMB can't get at it.
In addition dumps done by the firmware that extend past the boundary will loop
back to block 0

 >    I believe the limitation is on the boot drive only; others can
>be larger.  I haven't tried this, however, as I followed the cautious
>path and laid in a stock of sub-1GB drives a number of years ago.
>Besides, with VMS, amassing a gigabyte of data would likely take
>decades.

 Yep, boot drive only.