[rescue] VMS for VAXStation

John Francini francini at mac.com
Sat Jul 27 12:42:46 CDT 2013

You need to join one of the national HP user group organizations -- in the US
it's called Connect -- once you do that you can register on openVMS.org for
license PAKs.

In general, openVMS.org is a go-to place for all things VMS related.

On 27 Jul 2013, at 12:03, Steve Sandau <ssandau at gwi.net> wrote:

> So I finally have hardware that will run VMS, something that I have wanted
to do for years now. I don't know why; maybe it's because it's different from
any OS that I know or have used.

> In any case, I have a VAXStation 3000 model 30, I believe. It came with
matching monitor, mouse and keyboard, though I am only using a serial
connection while I learn about booting with MOP and play around with Open BSD
on it. I'm far enough through the OpenBSD install that I'm sure everything
will work.

> Before doing much else with it, I'll replace the 100M SCSI drive with a 1G
or a 2G depending on what I have around. I am assuming that most any 50-pin
SCSI drive will work.

> The real question is how to get VMS? Is the OpenVMS hobbyist license the
best way to do that? Sounds like I need to join a support group in order to do
that. (OK with me; I am sure I'll need help from time to time.) Are there
other options?