[rescue] System Upgrade Drive (sort of)

Michael-John Turner mj at mjturner.net
Mon Jul 8 06:12:14 CDT 2013

On Fri, Jul 05, 2013 at 12:55:23PM -0400, Nathan Raymond wrote:
>    Short answer: AMD has very affordable 8-core CPUs and while the
>    performance-per-Mhz and power efficiency isn't as good as Intel, if you're
>    doing virtualization the hardware costs are lower for the equivalent
>    performance compared to Intel.  Power efficiency becomes a bigger deal in
>    a data center where cooling costs are a bigger factor, and
>    performance-per-Mhz will matter more for HPC applications (though this is
>    sometimes offset by GPU compute, depending on the application).

I was thinking more of the additional cost of the AMD systems due to their
higher max TDP compared to a semi equivalent Intel[1]. For example, the
FX-8350 is a 125W part whereas an Intel 3770 is 77W (I'm ignoring Haswell
parts here, not to mention the 65W 3770S). The Intel is pricier but I'm
curious to know if the lower TDP would make it more cost-effective, taking
into account power costs (assuming 24/7 operation, which would be the case
for me).

[1] http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=AMD+FX-8350+Eight-Core

-mj
--