[rescue] Need help in booting Sun 2/50

Michael Thompson michael.99.thompson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 12:46:37 CDT 2013

> On 2 July 2013 16:45, Michael Ng <michaelng0623 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Michael,
> > How do I know if it is a 3.0 boot ROM? If it is 3.0, is there
> downloadable
> > CDROM image from the web? Does this need a very rare SCSI CDROM drive?
> >
> > If I do not use Sun 3/60 as server and use NetBSD instead, can I install
> > NetBSD in a modern laptop and netboot the Sun 2/50?

When I was trying to get my 2/120 running I had problems with a network
boot (my fault). I used a 3/460 to partition the 2/120's disk and then
copied the miniroot to the swap partition. The 2/120 booted the
miniroot from the swap partition and then ran a network install of the
complete SunOS.

You could use the same procedure from any system that can talk to the
2/50's disk drive.

As suggested earlier you could build the complete disk image using one of
the emulators and then copy the disk image to the 2/50's disk.

Michael Thompson