[rescue] rescue Digest, Vol 128, Issue 2

Michael Thompson michael.99.thompson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 13:04:12 CDT 2013

Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 23:45:29 +0800

> From: Michael Ng <michaelng0623 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Need help in booting Sun 2/50
>
> Hi Michael,
> How do I know if it is a 3.0 boot ROM? If it is 3.0, is there downloadable
> CDROM image from the web? Does this need a very rare SCSI CDROM drive?

It will display the ROM version when it boots V3.0.0 or V3.0.1 would work.

It needs a SCSI CDROM that supports 512 byte sectors.
There are lots of details on CDROMs here:
http://www.pimpworks.org/sun/suncds.html

> If I do not use Sun 3/60 as server and use NetBSD instead, can I install
> NetBSD in a modern laptop and netboot the Sun 2/50.

Yes, as long as you have ndbootd configured and running.

> I think I wont go to physical tape approach, feedback from several members
> are discouraging and either the tapes or the drive may not work..

Installing from CDROM works nicely.

Michael Thompson