[rescue] Sparc Classic & IPX rescue

David Brownlee abs at absd.org
Mon Dec 16 03:05:24 CST 2013

On 15 December 2013 22:48, Peter Stokes <peter at ashlyn.co.uk> wrote:

>> Solaris 2.1-2.2-2.3 were a pretty rough ride.
>
> I think these were developer versions from what I remember, the first
> seriously used version for production was 2.4, again this is just coming from
> my memory of what was said and what systems I saw at the time.

When I was at City university they made a big switch to Solaris 2.2 or
2.3 on the central servers. Some of the smaller boxes on it included
classics. It... wasn't pretty. If they were rebooted every other day
then the kernel memory leaks were manageable.

I'd concur with the above - by 2.4 things were starting to get usable.