[rescue] Looking for an IPX OT: picture of a SLC 4/20 or ELC ?

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Wed Dec 11 22:41:42 CST 2013

>> I really don't miss CRT screens.
> I destroyed a long folding table once by placing a 21" SGI (Sony)
> monitor in the middle of the table.  After a couple hours the monitor
> had sunk about 4-6", warping the table permanently...

I don't miss their weight, no.  I don't miss their power consumption.
I don't miss their need for occasional degaussing.  I don't miss their
implosion risk (they are designed to avoid flying glass outside the
case if the tube does break, but it's not perfect).

I miss their crispness (monochrome tubes, sans shadow mask,
especially).  I miss their correct handling of different-duration front
and back porches (I have a flatscreen and three peecees driving it via
a KVM; I've been unable to set the flatscreen such that I can switch
among the peecees and not have at least one of them lose at least one
character column to horizontal misalignment).  I miss their ability to
display disparate resolutions sanely - modern panel displays always
make them look either ugly or very ugly, blurry too in some cases.  (A
very few - I think I've seen three - are capable of being told to
letterbox rather than magnify.  The most sensible way seems to me to
magnify by the largest _integer_ factor that fits and then letterbox
the rest of the way; I have yet to see any modern flatscreen do that.)
I miss their willingness to handle over-resolution signals, as I
mentioned upthread.  I miss their resync speed when the input signal
experiences a sync phase glitch (CRTs are usually back in full
operation within a couple of vertical retrace times; modern flatscreens
seem to take at least half a second, usually more like one second).
(The last few can be summarized as, I miss their robustness when faced
with diverse signals.)  I miss their physical robustness (the face of a
CRT monitor is generally substantially more robust than the face of a
modern flatscreen - though, as I mentioned above, more dangerous when
pushed beyond its limits).

					Mouse