[rescue] Sun 3/80 mobo wanted

Kurt M. Nowak kurt.m.nowak at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 00:53:30 CDT 2013

On 8/13/2013 1:17 PM, Ian Finder wrote:
> hey bear are you local to Seattle?
>
> I have two last known working 3/80s you can have a look at to beep out the
> traces.
>
> I may be able to give Kurt one later--
>
> - Ian
>

> On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 12:06 PM, r.stricklin <bear at typewritten.org> wrote:
>
>> On Aug 13, 2013, at 11:51 AM, Kurt Nowak wrote:
>>
>>> By chance does anyone have a 3/80 mainboard lying around. I fired mine up
>>> after years and it no longer powers up. I first thought it was the PS,
>> but
>>> I replaced it with a known working one from an SS1 and it still was dead.
>>> Any possible ideas would be appreciated.
>> I have three that have all failed the same way - by developing a carbon arc
>> inside the PCB (in approximately the same location on each board). If you
>> are
>> amenable, I'd like a crack at repairing yours, which would theoretically
>> allow
>> me a better shot at tracing out the various circuit paths and possibly
>> ultimately to successfully resurrecting at least one of mine.
>>
>> The first step to fixing my problem is dremeling out the carbonized
>> sections
>> of PCB, and re-filling the hole with resin. My initial attempts with the
>> dremel suggest (as one might imagine) that it is basically impossible to
>> clear
>> the carbon and not destroy the copper tracks. Thus, the interest in tracing
>> out an intact board.
>>
>> Or maybe somebody knows of a solvent that would be of use here, to
>> preferentially dissolve the carbonized fiberglass, and leave the rest of it
>> alone?
>>

>> ok

Thanks Ian,

I was going to send my whole machine to him but maybe its more efficient
for him to use one of yours to beep out traces and Ill just wait for
your second one to be available, per your offer? I would still send him
my bad board for him to try and resurrect to be put back in your second
chassis if he can fix it..then we'd all be happy with less shipping
costs! Just a thought...

-Kurt