[rescue] VMS for VAXstation

Richard legalize at xmission.com
Mon Aug 12 20:48:20 CDT 2013

In article <5208277A.4030900 at gwi.net>,
    Steve Sandau <ssandau at gwi.net> writes:

> I've looked at lots of docs, but I seem to have missed some basic
> concepts. I have a tough time with details if I don't have a framework
> to put them in. The explanations here helped me get a (necessary) clue.

I was feeling similar to you.  I have a VAXstation 4000/300 with an
older version of VMS (5.3? can't remember) and I've been meaning to
learn more about VMS since I only used PDP-11 operating systems (RSTS/E
v6?, TOPS-10 back, early Bell Labs unix).

> This was different enough that I needed some basic hints. The docs are
> good though, and I don't know that I had that link before.

I have a "gray wall" documentation set and I started with volume 1 and
skimmed forward.  I found there was quite a bit of duplication of
chunks of material between manuals.  I think the user guide is the
best place to start.
     The Computer Graphics Museum <http://computergraphicsmuseum.org>
  Legalize Adulthood! (my blog) <http://legalizeadulthood.wordpress.com>