[rescue] VMS for VAXstation

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Fri Aug 9 19:54:29 CDT 2013

On 9 Aug 2013, at 20:37, Steve Sandau <ssandau at gwi.net> wrote:

> Thanks for all the information guys. I now have OpenVMS running on a
> VAXStation 3100. Cool. I set up a 350M system drive and configured DECNET on
VMS and Linux to copy files. That allowed me to add DECwindows and TCP/IP, and
I have another drive for user files. It's been interesting finding some
DOS-like commands and some plain English commands, too.

> I'm still struggling with the overall logic of the file structure though. I
was thinking it was like DOS in that there's a device and directories below
it, and that's how you get to things. But I can't sort out things like how
SYS$ROOT[SYSMGR] and SYS$COMMON:[SYSMGR] relate. In short, the file system
confuses me. Does this have to do with aliases or something like that?

> I also can't figure out when to just invoke a file, "run" a file, or use "@"
to run a file. Clues?

RUN for a .exe, @ for a .COM (DCL script)

> I think I'm missing some basic information that I have not been able to
glean from the manuals. Does anyone have pointers to basic info that might
answer these questions, or am I just being really obtuse and the answers are
right in front of me?