[rescue] Help with SunFire V240 Server

Jonathan Katz jon at jonworld.com
Thu Apr 4 15:48:21 CDT 2013

On Apr 4, 2013, at 4:40 PM, "Cory Smelosky" <b4 at gewt.net> wrote:

> For added fun, you could run a quite old Solaris release. ;)  The BSDs are
an option as well. OpenSXCE might run on that if you want Illumos-based.

Poor Lionel. Your best bet would be Solaris 9 if you want something of
appropriate "vintage" on the system that can take advantage of all that's
there. I *think* you can run 8 on them, but you have to patch the install
image.

Easiest way to put an OS on there is via jumpstart, and you can jumpstart a
Solaris system from anything that does NFS, tftp and bootparams. There are
howtos out there on how to get it to net boot from *BSD and Linux. You could
conceivably automate the install, but I don't think you want to do that at
this point :D

If you want to do ZFS and Zones then OpenSXCE/OpenIndiana would be the way to
go.

Be glad you're able to get the the OBP's 'ok' prompt. These systems all have
ALOM on them for remote console and power management, and those passwords can
be tricky to get around (I don't know how to do it off-hand, but I'm sure it
can be done.)

What does 'banner' say? Does it recognize all the CPUs and RAM?

Good luck!