[rescue] Crossbow vnic for a zone

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Sat Jul 21 22:55:50 CDT 2012

I'm running Solaris express with kernel version SNV 127 (near to the
last version before they switched to Solaris 11 style packaging and
dropped support for V240 and related machines).

This release has crossbow, so I wanted to use crossbow for zone
networking instead of shared_ip interfaces.

Previously, when using crossbow it was for a virtual network only and
not meant to talk to the outside world, so each zone got a vnic attached
to an etherstub.

On this machine, I want each zone to by default be able to talk to the
outside world, so I wanted to bind vnics to bge0.

The reason that I don't want to use shared-ip is because I want to make
how I setup zones more consistant between the two use cases.  I don't
want to bind the vnic to an etherstub because then I'd have to setup a
zone to act as a router between the etherstub traffic and the physical
interface, which seems like it would suck some of the machine
performance away.

So, I did this:
   dladm create-vnic -l bge0 vnic01
Then, I created the zone config with this net section:
   set ip-type=exclusive
   add net
   set physical=vnic01
   end
Now, when I boot the zone, ifconfig -a only shows lo0 (twice).  If I try
ifconfig -a plumb, I get: ifconfig: SIOCSLIFNAME for ip: vnic01: Invalid
argument