[rescue] little low-wattage servers

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Sun Jan 22 12:14:55 CST 2012

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 11:41 PM, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Let the fun begin - Newegg in the US is selling the itty-bitty HP
> Proliant N40L server w/ 2 Gigs RAM (8 Gig DDR3 max) and 1x 250 Gig HD
> (4x 2 TB max internal, more via eSATA, add-in cards) for $299.
>
> Or, for $249 if you'll let Newegg drop a Windows Home Server DVD in
> your order - not installed, just included...

Looks like the combo is dead, but it's still a pretty good deal.

The interwebs tell me this machine can handle ECC RAM, which may be
desirable for ZFS users... someone in the UK "hacked" the bios to
handle six internal drives but he hasn't responded as far as the bios
tweaks/replacement.

And if you want to roll your own,
http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/product06.php?pr_index=480&cl_index=1&sc_index=25&ss_index=64
has some nice similar-scale cases that take a mini-ITX case. I'm also
waiting for some drives to build an Antec ISK-100 with the Intel  D525
board, which (with a pair of usb ethernet adapaters and some velcro)
should make a pretty nice router, andn quiet/low power with SSD or
Sata-to-CF drives. :)

Rob