[rescue] ZFS >> RAID - Re: Digest Why not to use an Atom as a Server

Zachary Giles zgiles at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 09:46:14 CST 2012

I was trying FreeNAS as an option to move away from Solaris but still
have ZFS. This is all IMHO, so try it yourself for yourself; But:
FreeNAS 7 leaves something to be desired in the ZFS area. It's support
is not quite there. It didn't feel stable or quick to me. It seems
that ZFS was just thrown on top, but not really integrated.
FreeNAS 8 is better, however, with it's new style interface, if you
make some of the more advanced changes on the command line you end up
having to do scary things in the web interface to make the changes
show up. (Like asking it to reimport filesystems or something
similar). It's still not quite in there, as of a few months ago.
For now, I'd stay with one of the OpenSolaris variants, but hope/wish
strongly that FreeNAS will get better ZFS support. It's def. going in
the right direction.

http://www.ixsystems.com/ix/media/ixsystems-announces-release-of-freenas-vers