[rescue] ZFS >> RAID - Re: Digest Why not to use an Atom as a Server

J. Alexander Jacocks jjacocks at mac.com
Thu Jan 19 20:00:15 CST 2012

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 8:18 PM, Toby Thain <toby at telegraphics.com.au> wrote:
> On 19/01/12 12:51 PM, J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:

>> So, my recommendation is to find a desktop CPU (Core Duo is a good
>> choice, IMO), and use software RAID.  Make sure that it has plenty of
>

> ^^ Or better, ZFS.

Much as I think that ZFS is an amazing technology, Oracle has made it
impossible to really use Solaris 10, for a home user, with their silly
licensing changes.  And, they make it darned hard, ever for a
corporate user, with their really rather poor customer support, and
their willingness to drop fairly current products with no warning.

Their radical service price increases didn't help, either.

This is coming from a guy who was primarily a Solaris SA for over 15 years.

- Alex