[rescue] Digest Why not to use an Atom as a Server

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Thu Jan 19 16:46:05 CST 2012

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 08:01:32PM -0800, chase rayfield wrote:
>I've seen a lot of people thinking about getting Atom severs  ... why not get
>one of these new AMD systems similar wattage and much higher ram limit 8/16GB
>whereas 2Gb is pretty much the fair on Atom boards. A friend of mine has been
>quite happy with his E-350 system I think he has 2-3 TB of storage and could
>put lots of as he has more SATA ports than an Atom board and is running
>FreeBSD with ZFS with it being able to max out Gbit Ethernet for file
>transfers unlike an Atom board.

I'm actually replacing an Intel D510MO Atom-based system with a box built
around one of the AMD A4-3300 chips w/8G of RAM installed on the
motherboard.

I replaced the SPARC-based ohno.mrbill.net SunHELP server a year ago with a
box built around a Gigabyte motherboard (AMD 880 chipset), an Athlon II
X4-640, and 16G of RAM.  I want to upgrade it to a Phenom II X4 960T when I
can come up with the $125 to spare.

No complaints though (and yes, I keep packages updated):

mrbill at ohno:~> uptime
  16:45:09 up 350 days, 22:35, 12 users,  load average: 1.95, 0.67, 0.43

Going to wait for 365 days before I down the system to install a
server-class GigE card.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford