[rescue] Digest Why not to use an Atom as a Server

Nathan Raymond nraymond at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 12:02:34 CST 2012

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 12:51 PM, J. Alexander Jacocks <jjacocks at mac.com>wrote:

> Until very recently,most home NAS devices have not even bothered to
> include gigabit
> ethernet, as they couldn't even provide a reliable 12MB/sec that would
> max out fast ethernet.  I tried a bunch of different NASes (YellowBox,
> HP, Buffalo, etc.), and never found one that would perform decently on
> gigabit ethernet.

Not true for Synology - in 2007 their mid-range DS207+ had gigabit, and I'm
pretty sure most (all?) of their lineup has for years.  Now admittedly
their products haven't had the CPU horsepower to saturate gigabit until I
think a couple of years ago, but they have some very high performance NAS
products these days that are just as fast as a desktop computer running as
a NAS but easier to setup and manage and use less power.  The only real
downside is you loose some raw customizability, and if you need that, then
you should build your own, but you will have to spend more time on the
setup and maintenance, so it's a tangible tradeoff.

- Nate