[rescue] Digest Why not to use an Atom as a Server

chase rayfield cusbrar2 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 18 22:01:32 CST 2012

I've seen a lot of people thinking about getting Atom severs  ... why not get
one of these new AMD systems similar wattage and much higher ram limit 8/16GB
whereas 2Gb is pretty much the fair on Atom boards. A friend of mine has been
quite happy with his E-350 system I think he has 2-3 TB of storage and could
put lots of as he has more SATA ports than an Atom board and is running
FreeBSD with ZFS with it being able to max out Gbit Ethernet for file
transfers unlike an Atom board.

I like running my SparcStations for fun
but... if I had to go to the dark side I may as well get a board that has
decent busing and reasonable ram limits for about the same money and power
usage.

Chase