[rescue] You see a wild SPARCstation 20. What do?

Michael-John Turner mj at mjturner.net
Tue Jan 17 15:44:29 CST 2012

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 03:16:11PM -0600, Jonathan Patschke wrote:
> However, NAT and filtering add a fair amount of CPU-bound latency.  At one
> time, my gateway was an Ultra 1e m170, and the combination of NAT +
> filtering + PPPoE made performance absolutely awful.

I know the feeling. My current gateway is a Netra T1 and while it can
handle my ~9Mbps ADSL just fine, when I throw in routing 100Mbps traffic
between segments on my LAN it takes a lot of strain.

It's sad that I'll probably soon be replacing it with an Atom-based system
that'll be both a lot more power efficient and faster, not to mention
quieter. Sigh.

-mj
--
 Michael-John Turner