[rescue] You see a wild SPARCstation 20. What do?

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Thu Jan 12 22:29:24 CST 2012

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 6:09 PM, Jonathan Katz <jon at jonworld.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 9:08 PM, Toby Thain <toby at telegraphics.com.au>
> wrote:
> > I tried to work that out but keep getting division by zero...
>
> Eep; wonder if you need a prom update for the huge disks?

I think he was just alarmed that someone was talking about rescuing
hardware (as opposed to decrying accidental spam) on the rescue list. :)

I do have the right prom for the hypersparcs (both of them) so my options
are a bit more limited. But I think I found a Sol8 thin kit that might
work. Or NetBSD. Or Splack.

Tempted by the SATA adapters but not at a $160 price tag. I think the 4gb +
18gb internal and nfs (or iscsi?) should do fine for now :)

Justin: Thanks for the notes, I read those details and was a bit put off,
considering I have two processors. I used to run Redhat on sun4m
(SPARCclassic X converted to !X) back when the kits included Alpha and
SPARC as well as x86. :)