[rescue] Fortran punch cards

Mike Loewen mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us
Tue Jan 3 22:16:37 CST 2012

On Tue, 3 Jan 2012, Derrik Walker wrote:

> On Jan 3, 2012, at 9:17 PM, Kurt M. Nowak wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> My father who is a retired physicist with severe dementia left us a collection of about 400lbs (~40 shoe boxes worth?) of Fortran 77 punch cards from the 70s neatly organized in a steel cabinet with 11 drawers. I am wondering if anyone would like them, or can advise what I should do with them - besides the obvious of taking them to the recycling center which I will probably end up doing at a last resort...I am located in San Diego, CA.
>

> Are those punched cards with actual code on them?
>
> If so, I wonder what it would take to get the contents off?  There might be something interesting on them.

    The Computer History Museum in Mountainview has a Documation tabletop
card reader with a USB interface, like this one:

http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/Documation/

    I built mine to Brian Knittel's specifications.  You might contact Al
Kossow at the CMH.

Mike Loewen				mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us
Old Technology	      http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/