[rescue] Open source packages for Solaris

Vintage Coder vintagecoder at aol.com
Fri Feb 24 02:41:35 CST 2012

I am a big fan of pkgsrc... on NetBSD. It's the best of breed that I have seen. However, using it on a non-native platform results in huge bloat, ex. 3 copies of Perl etc. I haven't seen it integrated properly anywhere but Net and DragonFly (where its also native). Everywhere else it has to duplicate large numbers of packages because each OS, distro etc. has its own flavor of default locations for important pieces, and those can't be changed without breaking the base system.

And as good as pkgsrc is, it still suffers from bloat like any dependency management system.
For me the bottom line is if the OS has a native pkg system (Open/Net/Free/Dfly) I use that. If not (Slackware, Solaris) I happily roll my own.