[rescue] Open source packages for Solaris

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu Feb 23 18:49:28 CST 2012

Where do people get theirs from (at least for people who don't want to
build from source)?

Increasingly, I've been finding Sun Freeware to be useless to me.

Today I was looking at blastwave, but they also seem to be falling
behind.  For instance, there is no GCC 4.1 through 4.6.  Their erlang is
pretty old.  Emacs is old. Their Samba is old, there is no spidermonkey
package, etc.  No wiki updates in over a year.  The front page says 332
package updates in the last month, but the link says "There are no
recently released software packages to report at this time."

So, what are other people using?  Portage? pkgsrc?  Build everything
from source?  Or, is it time to do for Solaris what Nekoware does for
Irix?