[rescue] Cold War hardware movements - was Re: WTB: Functioning VAX machine

brian Ross brian_665 at internode.on.net
Tue Feb 21 08:19:46 CST 2012

The CIA conducted a very successful smuggling operation - smuggling
defective pieces of advanced (for the USSR) machinery to the USSR
through various places.  This came about with the discovery of a KGB
smuggling operation for technology.  Rather than roll the entire Soviet
operation up, the CIA instead decided to use it, to sabotage Soviet
projects.   Large quantities of electronics ended up in the USSR - some
good, some bad and some deadly.  Perhaps the most spectacular success of
the operation was a massive oil pipeline explosion in the mid-1980s
which was observed from US early warning satellites and caused
considerable consternation in NORAD.  The CIA had to tell them to ignore
the alert.   Apparently the control system for the pipeline pumping
system was deliberately designed to fail after a specified time.  The
result was a massive buildup in pressure and when the pipes burst, they
ignited.

cheers

Brian