[rescue] WTB: Functioning VAX machine (w/ disks or SCSI) in Seattle area

Michael-John Turner mj at mjturner.net
Mon Feb 20 04:47:57 CST 2012

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 08:44:56AM +0200, Jonathan Groll wrote:
> Anecdotally, I have heard that in the early 1980s there was a VAX or
> two that got intercepted in Sweden (en route to Russia, the part that
> doesn't make any sense!) and these eventually ended up in South
> Africa. And yes, Digital did not sell it's machines to apartheid South
> Africa.

Interesting - I wasn't aware of that (although it's pretty obvious, if I
think about it!). There certainly were VAXen at both UCT and Stellenbosch
in the early 90s (I have the old sunvax.sun.ac.za, a VAXstation 3100[1])
and was a user of uctvax.uct.ac.za from 1993 onwards.

[1] The 3100 m30 was released in 1989 so was probably only obtained post
    the lifting of sanctions.

-mj
--
 Michael-John Turner