[rescue] Rescued Sun servers, now what?!

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Sun Feb 19 21:28:04 CST 2012

>> The other one looks like an RJ-45 port, and it's a label like this:
>> <777>.
> I think that some characters may have been translated in your email.
> That should look like three dots: '<...>', but the dots are in the
> middle.

The list strips the high bit from non-ASCII octets in email; I've been
annoyed by this occasionally myself (for example, as I send it, this is
a degree sign: 0 - but I expect it to get turned into a 0 by the list).
The ISO 8859-1 centred-dot character, 0xb7, thus gets transformed into
0x37, ASCII digit 7.  So, that 777 probably was three centred-dot
characters in the original mail as ama@ wrote it (which, as you say,
indicates twisted-pair Ethernet).

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign