[rescue] WTB: Functioning VAX machine (w/ disks or SCSI) in Seattle area

Scott Quinn saquinn624 at aol.com
Sat Feb 18 22:38:15 CST 2012

>Anyone got something they'd sell?
>
>Don't particularly care the model, something medium sized preferably.
>
>-- Ian

 DEC and Seattle aren't a good mix. Boeing Surplus is gone now, and anyway
Seattle was never a very big DEC area (even though DECwest was right here).
Add to that the fact that there's now a local DEC reseller snapping up stuff
at more-than-hobbyist prices and the picture gets even bleaker. Took me years
to get my few DECs.

I'd say look for a 4000-series box, as they're pretty easy to ship. VAXstation
4000s are OK, and the VAX 4000-10x series are not bad either if you want more
expansion space, a QBus option, and both SCSI and DSSI. They're also mostly
NVAX (except the 4000-200 and 4000-300). Stepping up, the pedestal 4000s
aren't bad either, but they only have DSSI standard, so you'll need to get
either DSSI disks, a QBus SCSI controller (the KZPSA as noted was
sold/supported for tape/CD-ROM only, but in a pinch it will work. Performance
is not overwhelming, but I used one for a while before I found a HSD05
DSSI-SCSI converter at Boeing). 4000-700A is the fastest "small" (pedestal)
VAX you can get.

None of the 4Ks will run ULTRIX, so if that's a part of your dream look for a
CVAX or earlier machine.