[rescue] WTB: Functioning VAX machine (w/ disks or SCSI) in Seattle area

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Sat Feb 18 02:09:24 CST 2012

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 21:32:45 -0800
Ian Finder <ian.finder at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've always wanted a
> uselessly huge and power-thirsty old DEC machine
In this case you need a machine spawning several 19" racks. Even floor
standing MivroVAXen don't draw that much power. IIRC my VAX 4000-400
draws a bit over 200 W. Less then my Sun Fire V240! And the sound of
the VAX is much nicer then that of the Sun too. ;-)

I suspect that you will get the most fun out of a QBus VAX. Look for
somthing in a BA213 / BA215 / BA400. I.e. MicroVAX 3x00 or 4000-y00
where x >= 5 and y >= 2. But make sure to get disks with the machine.
VAX4000 have DSSI build in and so you need DSSI disks. The KZQSA SCSI
adapter sometimes found in these machines is for CD-ROMs only.
(Firmware and driver limitation.) DSSI via a KFQSA was common in MV3k
too, but you may find a RQDX MFM controller. That limits you on disk
size. QBus to SCSI adapters are $$$ to $$$$...

A QBus will give you a route to many "funny" peripherals such as
9-track tape and 14" SMD disks...
--

\end{Jochen}

\ref{http://www.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de/~jkunz/}