[rescue] linotronic L300

Toby Thain toby at telegraphics.com.au
Tue Feb 7 07:50:39 CST 2012

On 07/02/12 3:21 AM, melbournetitle at optusnet.com.au wrote:
> Hi, I have a Linotronic L300 imagesetter that I am looking to move on. Does any one know if there is still a 'market' for these machines. Or does any one know any one that has a use for it.
> Thanks and Cheers  Nevin 0412 330 151 melbournetitle at optusnet.com.au

There is no commercial market, although it would still be usable by a
small print shop or perhaps even an alternative process photographer
(making negatives for contact printing).

I kept its little brother, Linotype L100, in Melbourne until recently. I
could not get any interest anywhere. However, as the first PostScript
imagesetters, the L100 and L300 are very significant parts of
typesetting history, and should be preserved.

I think there is a printing museum in Melbourne, you should definitely
contact them! Failing that, the hardware itself is of historical
interest, having a self contained 68K single board computer with SCSI,
Appletalk, and a PostScript system in ROM.

--Toby