[rescue] Sun 3 Keyboard (or cable)

Earl D. Baugh Jr. earl at baugh.org
Thu Dec 27 16:56:09 CST 2012

To answer a couple of questions about my previous post...(answers in-line)

> From: Andrew Jones <andrew at jones.ec>
>
> On 12/25/2012 04:47 PM, Earl Baugh wrote:
>>
>> The Sun-3 type are with the fixed coiled cable and a DB-15 connector...
the
>> coiled cable is what the rabbit nibbled on...
>> (and what I'm looking to replace.
>>
>> Earl
>
> Forgive my curiosity: how did a rabbit reach your sun3 collection?

Well, my office is on the same floor as the master bedroom, and the bunny
"escaped" from the master where we allow him to run around
at night.  He's normally fairly well behaved (all of our bunnies have been
litter box trained.. yes, it's not that hard to do).  But he's less than a
year old,
so still a little more time to "learn" (like a dog... takes a year or so
before they start to calm down some...) That room is "bunny proofed" (wire
wise, etc.)
and he got into my office.   He's gotten in before, but this was the first
time he decided to be destructive.  It was 2 power cords, and the Sun 3
keyboard cable.

> From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
> To: rescue at sunhelp.org
>

> On Tue, 25 Dec 2012 16:47:10 -0500
> Earl Baugh <earl at baugh.org> wrote:
>
>> The Sun-3 type are with the fixed coiled cable and a DB-15 connector...
> What is the problem? It should be easy to replace the cable and
> connector with some generic parts. Lack of soldering skills?
> Or do you wane stay 100% original? You can use a MiniDIN Type 4/5
> keyboard with a simple adapter on a Sun3, BTW.
> --
>

> \end{Jochen}

Yes, I know I could (and probably will) replace the cable..... it's the 100%
original aspect.
I am trying to maintain at least one "original" Sun 3... (and Sun 4... a
4/110).    I have the soldering skills
(I'm re-soldering chips to a Sun 3 VME memory board... and repairing a Sun
3/110 CPU board... when time permits)
and know about the adapter... just trying to keep one "original" Sun set up.