[rescue] Looking for OS 9 for G3

Michael Lohmeyer mike at akhara.com
Mon Dec 17 11:41:40 CST 2012

On 12/17/12 7:28 AM, Earl Baugh wrote:
> Figured I'd ping to ask if anyone has a copy of the install disk for OS 9
> for a G3.   I've got a Beige G3 machine that I'm trying to get working...

Last time I checked (which was many years ago), Apple still had OS 9.x
software downloadable from their website - or maybe that was only OS 9
updates.  If it's still there, it is probably difficult to find and may
very well have been removed.  Here is the link where I have downloaded
stuff before, but these links did not work for me just now:

http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/System/

I also found OS 8.x stuff on their "older software" section in the Apple
Downloads part of their website here, but no OS 9 stuff.

    http://support.apple.com/kb/TA48312?viewlocale=en_US

So, maybe this reminds me that they made OS 8.x and older stuff
available, but didn't make OS 9 freely available for some reason.
Regardless, I would consider contacting Apple Support directly.  You
might be surprised what you get.

I know I have the latest OS 9 software on floppy - which I used for my
Powerbook 3400 and Kanga G3 3500.  If you don't find an easy source, I
might be able to find it and make disk images for you, but you would
have to be patient as it is buried deep in a box somewhere.

Regards,
Mike
*Michael Lohmeyer*
mike at akhara.com