[rescue] The Terminals Wiki

Richard legalize at xmission.com
Wed Apr 11 10:26:31 CDT 2012

The Terminals Wiki is open for public browsing!
<http://terminals.classiccmp.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page>

This is a joint project between myself (username Legalize),
Jason T (username Silent700) and Ian Primus (username Sark).
I am the wiki administrator.

My intention was to create a single reference site for everything we
can find about terminals.

Right now, account creation is by request only, but I will open it up
for more public editing gradually over time (I am mostly concerned
about spambots, I don't want this wiki to become a spam ghetto like so
many others).

I'm trying to make this an authoritative source, not just a hodge-podge
of unsubstantiated opinions.  To that end, everything I've put into
the wiki so far is sourced from technical documentation (linked to
manx and bitsavers and other sources) or from periodicals on Google
books like Computerworld, InfoWorld, Network World, PC Mag, etc.

Obviously there is tons more information that could be added and that
will happen over time, but there is enough there now to be useful in
looking up weird terminals that you might encounter in the wild.

One nice thing about Google books is that they index the advertising
as much as they index the articles.  I'm not sure that traditional
search databases like Nexus/Lexus do that.  It has meant that I have
been able to find lots of information on terminals through
advertising, including some technical specifications and photos.

Hopefully this is not considered off-topic for the rescue list.
Didn't Sun tape some diskless SPARCstations and sell them as X
terminals at one point?
--
"The Direct3D Graphics Pipeline" -- DirectX 9 version available for download