[rescue] Wanted: SparcStation 20 and/or Parts

J. Alexander Jacocks jjacocks at mac.com
Thu Nov 24 09:35:23 CST 2011

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 10:22 AM, Mark Benson <md.benson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24 Nov 2011, at 15:08, mail at catsnest.co.uk wrote:
>
>> On a side note i did buy 2 SUN Ross Twin 125 Mhz 1024k for mine and what i
>> was told was the FW chips for them.
>> But could never get them to work, im guessing as i was sent 4 "FW" chips
>> labeled "1/4" "2/4" "3/4" "4/4" that they were not what i was told!
>> I still have the CPU's and the SS20 but have no idea what FW/ Bios chips i
> need or where to get them from.
>
> IIRC Quad ROSS CPUs may need a different boot PROM (wether it was a flash or a
> new chip I don't know) depending on which they are - second hand knowledge and
> a bit hazy, sorry.

Well, I dunno about quad-Ross CPUs, specifically, but the 150+mHz
HyperSparcs require the 2.25R PROM.  You can still get those, believe
it or not.  I see them every so often on eBay.

The 2.25R revision supports _every_ available MBus module, I believe.
I have, as mentioned above, a Sun SM81-2 module in my SS20, with PROM
2.25R.

- Alex