[rescue] Sun E450's

JP Hindin jplist2008 at kiwigeek.com
Fri Nov 11 13:10:09 CST 2011

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011, Lex Landa wrote:
> > Yes Devon is a tad far away from me, and 450s are very heavy nearly
> > killed me getting it up to my flat!
>
> I had a similar experience with my 630MP: I live on the fourth floor
> with nice sea view, but I paid for that nice view with the effort that
> it took to get the thing up the stairs, and we (cousin, friends, myself)
> took a chunk out of the plaster when we steered it around a corner (I
> hope the landlord doesn't read this list).

I hear you loud and clear.

I moved a 2200lbs IBM RS/6000 SP/2 system up a storey and a half of
50-degrees-incline stairs. We managed to bend the little aluminium kick
strips they put on the stairs into a cute little W-shape from the wheels
of the appliance cart. Good thing my landlord was my uncle.

I spent three weeks taking it to bits and moving it, piece by piece, but
the empty rack alone had to weigh 600lbs. IBM definitely doesn't do
anything by halves. I'm not sure Indiana Jones should've survived Trinity
in his fridge, but apparently they guarantee salvation in an IBM rack.

 - JP