[rescue] Server lift: rent, borrow, or buy?

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Mon Jun 27 16:17:37 CDT 2011

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2011, Mauricio Tavares wrote:

>      I was picturing 2 triangular pieces bolted to the top of the
> rack (using the normal holes), one on each side, a few pulleys (to
> have work advantage), and a platform to sit the server on (and slide
> it to/from).

    That'd be valid if and only if the rack was bolted to the floor and
the floor could not be pulled up.  Three hundred pounds cantilevered
out three feet (at least) atop a six-foot rack is a *lot* of force and
certainly something one would *NOT* want to be under or even near if
the rack pulled out.

    I've done some pretty stupid things in my career (that I'll admit
to and some even stupider ones that I won't), and fortunately none of
them managed to kill me.

    Wiliam -- What sorts of stabilising feet does your rack have?  Is
is bolted to the floor?  If not, and you do not have a LOT of mass in
the base of the rack, how are these devices going to be serviced?

    I'm not trying to throw water on the party, but once one gets into
the hundred-pound range this stuff can do real damage to itself and
the humans around it if something goes wrong.

    Cheers.