[rescue] KVM-over-ip

Andrew Jones andrew at jones.ec
Thu Jun 16 15:20:20 CDT 2011

On 06/16/2011 02:35 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Picking nits, but if it runs over proprietary cabling, then it isn't a
> 'KVM-over-IP' - KVM-over-IP traffic can be carried thru a regular Ethernet
> switch, KVM over Cat5 and proprietary cabling can not.
>
> Lionel

The leg from the KVM head unit to your desk is the IP part.

You may not like that definition, but that's the definition the industry
has settled upon.  Check out Avocent's IP KVM products page. Marketing
literature changes the vernacular whether we like it or not.

If it makes you feel any better, my pet peeve is the "thin client."
Wyse and others have redefined "thin client" to mean "personal computer
running Windows XPe."

These days you have to use the neologism "zero client" to refer to the
devices that were "thin clients" in the preceding twenty years!