[rescue] KVM-over-ip

Andrew Jones andrew at jones.ec
Thu Jun 16 12:18:48 CDT 2011

On 06/16/2011 11:04 AM, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> No, KVM-over-IP is a dongle to your cat5 switch, and your KVM has a single IP
> connection.
>
> What you describe is an IP KVM extender.
>
> KVM-over-IP is best suited for remote management of lone servers, where it is
> impractical to run a second dedicated KVM cable.
>
> There are also (just to completely muddy the water) so-called Cat5 KVMs, where
> you buy a dedicated KVM base unit, with an RJ45 port for each system, and you
> deploy either USB or PS/2 dongles to each system. This simplifies cabling
> requirements for management of multiple local servers...

The traditional IP KVM is the second thing Lionel described.  The idea
is that you can have any mixture of RS-232, VGA + PS/2, DVI + USB, etc
on a single KVM unit, all dongle traffic running over either cat5 or
proprietary cabling.  All of this has a single web interface.

They tend to be very expensive, and I've never used one that was worth a
damn. (e.g. the RS-232/vt100 function is often a complete VGA terminal
emulator, presented via the same java applet as the regular KVM hosts!)